Monday, February 4, 2008

Humans/Apes... Violence/Technology?... WHATTT?!

I can honestly say that I am at a complete loss for words after watching this clip. I am not sure what direction the clip was heading in, or what exactly Kubrick was trying to depict. 
I would guess that he used apes to represent humans. One of the apes awoke to something unknown to him/his kind and began making noise to alert the others to wake up (that's the way I see it anyway). After they all rose, they immediately went toward the unknown object and went crazy "yelling" and "screaming" (I don't know what else to call it) simply because of it's presence. It is apparent that the apes were behaving violently toward what they didn't know in order to determine whether or not it would be harmful to them. Once one of the apes stepped up and touched the object repeatedly, the others followed. I believe that this is true in relation to humans, but only to a certain extent. I feel like in modern society others are only pulled to something and become okay with it, if it is accepted by others, just as in the clip where they all followed one ape reacting to the object, then accepting it once another had. 
Based on this clip, I think violence and technology are related in that new technology paves the way for violent acts/activities. When the ape toward the end sat staring at the bone (technology) he discovered a means of using it as a weapon. He used the bone in hand to destroy other bones and objects around him. This is similar to humans because as we progress technologically, people use technological advances to better the quality of modern society, but also to destroy it. For example, many people indulge themselves in the internet in order to help others by for instance raising money for a cause. On the other hand other people who do put their efforts and interest into the use of computers use this power to their advantage while harming others (i.e. child predators disguise themselves as teenagers or children in order to lure young men and women into their traps)
I thought this clip was rather confusing, maybe because there were no words? I'm not sure if how I perceived the clip makes logical sense, but it did when I thought about it haha. But this is what came to mind when I watched it.

No comments: